Smooth upgrade from Fedora Linux 13 to 14 using yum

Last weekend I had the urge to upgrade “viasvr”, my headless low power home server which function as file/storage, ftp, squid proxy, torrent and offsite backup pulling my website data from my hosting provider on daily basis. It is also running Hamachi2 which allows me to securely tunnel my browsing session from an unsecured connection like public wifi to my squid proxy server.

Viasvr, before the upgrade, runs on Fedora Linux 13. My plan was to upgrade from Fedora 13 to 14 using yum, a software package manager that installs, updates, and removes packages on RPM-based systems.

Fedora recommended installation method is with a boot media with the Anaconda installer as detailed in the Installation Guide or use PreUpgrade

PreUpgrade is a slightly different upgrade method where all the packages are downloaded before the system is rebooted into the Anaconda installer.

Fedora had a big NOTE about upgrading via yum:
Although upgrades with yum works, it is not explicitly tested as part of the release process by the Fedora Project. If you are not prepared to resolve issues on your own if things break, you should probably use the recommended installation methods instead.

When upgrading with yum you don’t get any help from Anaconda, but if you are lucky you might be able to upgrade systems remotely over ssh and with limited downtime. (You will still need to reboot to get the new kernel and system libraries/services running) Rebooting after such an upgrade is always very exciting.

And exciting indeed, the upgrade went as smooth as possible.. The following steps are from fedora project wiki1 with some modifications as to suit my environment.

1. Clean Stuff

Review and remove all .rpmsave and .rpmnew files before and after upgrading. (And if you have selinux enabled then remember to check security context if you move config files around.)

• Find unused config files
    Merge and resolve the changes found by the following script: yum install rpmconf; rpmconf -a Now find and remove old config which nobody owns: find /etc /var -name '*.rpm?*'

Now is a good time to remove packages you don’t use – especially non-standard packages.

• Find and review "unused" packages
    You can find packages not required by other packages with the tool package-cleanup from the yum-utils package: yum install yum-utils; package-cleanup --leaves. These packages could be candidates for removal, but check to see whether you use them directly or if they are used by applications not backed by rpm packages. Remove them with yum remove <package-name-and-version>.
  • Find and review "lost" packages
    You can find orphaned packages (ie packages not in the repositories anymore) with: package-cleanup --orphans. This will also show packages which have been partially uninstalled but where the "%postun" script failed.

2. Do the upgrade

If you have 3rd party repositories configured, you may need to adjust them for the new Fedora version. If you switch from one Fedora release to another there is often nothing that needs to be done. If you switch to Rawhide from a standard Fedora release (or vice versa) then most of the time you will need to install the Rawhide release RPMs from the 3rd party repository as well (or the standard ones, if switching back).

Go to a text console (logging from the console is the recommended mode, I did mine from a remote SSH connection Smile
ctrl + alt + F2

(or)

log in as root, and go into runlevel 3

init 3

Update yum to latest version available in your Fedora version
yum update yum
Install the new fedora gpg key for the version you are updating to

Keys you may find and verify at https://fedoraproject.org/keys but since this is an upgrade from Fedora 13 to 14, I used the following:

rpm --import https://fedoraproject.org/static/97A1071F.txt
Clean the cache

Then remove all traces of the version you are leaving from the yum cache in /var/cache/yum.

yum clean all
Upgrade all packages

NOTE:

Once a live upgrade is started do not stop the upgrade by rebooting, killing the process, or by any other method until it is complete, doing so will cause the affected system to be in a mixed state. Partially the old release and partially the new release. In this state the system will not be reliable and will not operate as expected. you can try running yum distro-sync and package-cleanup –problems to try and fix the problems.

yum --releasever=<release_number_you_want_to_sync_to> distro-sync

I used –releasever=14

3. Make sure Fedora is upgraded

Distro-sync will usually take care of upgrades for the third party repositories you have enabled as well. Confirm with

yum repolist

after the upgrade process is over. yum might complain about conflicts or requirements. That is probably because you have used non-standard repositories or installed non-standard packages manually. Try to guess which packages cause the problem (or at least is a part of the dependency chain) – uninstall them and try again. Remember to install the packages again if they are essential.

Ensure that all (new) essential packages from the new version are installed with

yum groupupdate Base

You might want to update other groups too, see

yum grouplist

For example

yum groupupdate "GNOME Desktop Environment" \
"Development Tools" "Server Configuration Tools" \
"Hardware Support" "Sound and Video" \
"Graphical Internet" "Fonts" \
"Games and Entertainment" "Printing Software" \
"Administration Tools" "Office/Productivity" "System Tools"

4. Preparing for reboot ( and pray… lol )

Before booting you should usually install the bootloader from your new grub by running

/sbin/grub-install BOOTDEVICE

– where BOOTDEVICE is usually /dev/sda (If you get an error ‘/dev/sda does not have any corresponding BIOS drive’ from that, then try /sbin/grub-install --recheck /dev/sda).

Also, the order of init scripts could have changed from the previous version. A command to reset the order is:

cd /etc/rc.d/init.d; for f in *; do /sbin/chkconfig $f resetpriorities; done

imageAgain, run package-cleanup --orphans to find packages that haven’t been upgraded.

After doing all this, I rebooted the server and did a continuous ping test to know if the server comeback online since there is no display to look at,  I have no indication if there’s any error along the way. I usually had a problem with external storage attached to the server such as USB hardisk specially if they are manually added in fstab entry. The bootup process complain if it find a hardware error and drop to a shell.

And to my amazement it came back with all services intact, up and running. Kudos to Fedora Team for making an upgrade from previous version as smooth as possible even using yum.

The last time I did an upgrade like this from Fedora 12 to 13, it was such a headache it ruined my whole week. Not this time….

[kramfs@viasvr ~]$ cat /etc/redhat-release & uname –a

Fedora release 14 (Laughlin)
Linux viasvr 2.6.35.11-83.fc14.x86_64 #1 SMP Mon Feb 7 07:06:44 UTC 2011 x86_64 x86_64 x86_64 GNU/Linux

1 – http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Upgrading_Fedora_using_yum

1. Pingback: click here to download

2. check this out

There may be noticeably a bundle to find out about this. I assume you made certain good factors in features also.

3. check more

Oh my goodness! a tremendous article dude. Thank you Nevertheless I am experiencing issue with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting identical rss downside? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

4. purchasing timex

I’ve learn several good stuff here. Definitely value
    bookmarking for revisiting. I surprise how much effort you put to make this
    sort of great informative web site.

5. Pingback: download apk file

6. Pingback: wanachi waterproof

7. Pingback: rni

8. Pingback: best vibrators

9. Pingback: apps like tinder

10. Pingback: rni

11. Trump names Alex Acosta

An attention-grabbing discussion is worth comment. I believe that it’s best to write more on this topic, it may not be a taboo topic however generally persons are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

12. Pingback: invest online

13. black friday wordpress theme discount

Oh my goodness! an incredible article dude. Thank you Nonetheless I am experiencing concern with ur rss . Don’t know why Unable to subscribe to it. Is there anybody getting equivalent rss downside? Anybody who knows kindly respond. Thnkx

14. Futurama Worlds of Tomorrow Online Generator

You made some respectable factors there. I regarded on the internet for the problem and located most individuals will associate with together with your website.

15. Pingback: dildo vibrator

16. Pingback: trading online platform

17. Pingback: trading online platform

18. Lelio Vieira Carneiro Junior

It’s going to be ending of mine day, except before finish I am reading this fantastic article to increase my knowledge.|

19. Pingback: top rated vibrator

20. Grupo Coral presidios

May I simply just say what a comfort to discover somebody who truly understands what they’re talking about on the internet. You actually know how to bring a problem to light and make it important. More and more people must read this and understand this side of your story. I was surprised you’re not more popular since you definitely possess the gift.|

21. Pingback: Learn Music from Home

22. Family Guy The Quest for Stuff Hack

I’d must check with you here. Which isn’t something I normally do! I take pleasure in reading a publish that can make people think. Also, thanks for allowing me to comment!

23. Marvel Puzzle Quest Online Generator

An interesting dialogue is price comment. I think that it’s best to write more on this subject, it might not be a taboo topic but usually persons are not enough to speak on such topics. To the next. Cheers

24. SimCity BuildIt Online Generator

I was very pleased to search out this net-site.I wanted to thanks for your time for this glorious read!! I undoubtedly having fun with each little bit of it and I have you bookmarked to check out new stuff you weblog post.

25. Umanizzare presidios

This blog was… how do you say it? Relevant!! Finally I’ve found something that helped me. Thank you!|

26. Luiz Gastão Bittencourt da Silva

Hey there, You have done an excellent job. I’ll certainly digg it and personally suggest to my friends. I’m sure they will be benefited from this site.|

27. Plants vs Zombies 2 Online Generator

There is noticeably a bundle to learn about this. I assume you made certain good points in options also.

28. Real Racing 3 Hack

This website online is mostly a stroll-through for all the information you needed about this and didn’t know who to ask. Glimpse right here, and you’ll positively uncover it.

29. GSN Casino Slot Machine Games Cheat

Good post. I study one thing more challenging on completely different blogs everyday. It would all the time be stimulating to read content material from other writers and practice a bit one thing from their store. I’d favor to use some with the content material on my weblog whether you don’t mind. Natually I’ll give you a hyperlink on your internet blog. Thanks for sharing.

30. Pingback: logo design birmingham

31. Pingback: web design birmingham

32. Jurassic World The Game Hack

I’m impressed, I have to say. Really hardly ever do I encounter a weblog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you have got hit the nail on the head. Your concept is outstanding; the problem is something that not sufficient individuals are speaking intelligently about. I’m very blissful that I stumbled throughout this in my search for one thing relating to this.

33. Pingback: free tax software

34. MORTAL KOMBAT X Online Generator

I’m impressed, I need to say. Really not often do I encounter a blog that’s both educative and entertaining, and let me let you know, you’ve got hit the nail on the head. Your thought is outstanding; the problem is something that not enough individuals are talking intelligently about. I am very comfortable that I stumbled across this in my seek for something regarding this.

35. Pingback: driving lessons bideford

36. Pingback: cupping birmingham

37. Pingback: income tax services

38. Pingback: revocable living trust

39. home security systems reviews uk

To secure your home from impairment?

40. Pingback: trash dumpster prices

41. Grupo Serval presidios

Hi there! I know this is somewhat off topic but I was wondering if you knew where I could locate a captcha plugin for my comment form? I’m using the same blog platform as yours and I’m having problems finding one? Thanks a lot!|

42. Pingback: state income tax